Medical Lab Technicians are skilled and crucial members of the healthcare team, playing a vital role in patient care. They conduct a wide range of tests on patient samples that provide important information for physicians to make accurate diagnoses and formulate effective treatment plans. In fact, 60-70% of all medical decisions regarding patient diagnosis and treatment are based on the results of lab tests.
Medical Laboratory Techs are one of the fastest-growing professions in healthcare. In two years at Southeast Technical College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, you will become proficient in a range of laboratory techniques and learn in Southeast Tech's state-of-the-art Healthcare Simulation Center. From conducting routine tests to handling advanced equipment, our students graduate well-prepared to step into the dynamic healthcare field.
Scholarships and Sponsorships
Earn a full-ride scholarship to Southeast Tech's Medical Lab Technician program through Build Dakota!
Industry Sponsorships and Scholarships
Avera Health offers scholarship, loan repayment and sign-on bonus opportunities to STC’s Medical Lab Technician students though Dec. 31, 2024. Contact Avera to learn more.
Sanford Health offers scholarships, sponsorships and partners with Build Dakota to provide industry Sponsorships. Our current sponsorship for our Sioux Falls area is $15,000-$20,000 for a three-year time commitment and is open to all students that are pursuing a Medical Lab Technician degree. Please contact Lukas.Eide@SanfordHealth.org or visit our website, Sanford Laboratory Sponsorships, for more information.
Job Duties of Medical Lab Technicians
As a Medical Lab Tech, your daily work may include:
- Collecting and Processing Samples - MLTs are responsible for collecting various types of patient samples, such as blood, urine and tissue. They meticulously handle and process these samples to ensure accurate results.
- Conducting Tests - MLTs operate sophisticated laboratory equipment to perform a diverse array of tests. These tests can include blood counts, chemical analysis, and microbial cultures, among others.
- Analyzing Data - Once tests are complete, Medical Lab Technicians analyze the data to identify any abnormalities or irregularities. Their attention to detail is crucial in ensuring accurate results.
- Reporting and Documentation - MLTs compile their findings and generate reports for healthcare providers. These reports serve as a foundation for accurate diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Maintaining Equipment - MLTs are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of laboratory equipment. This ensures that all tests are conducted with precision and accuracy.
With a strong emphasis on practical, hands-on learning, our program equips students with the skills they need to excel in real-world healthcare settings. Upon graduation, our alumni go on to make meaningful contributions to the medical community, exemplifying the impact of Southeast Tech's education.
Multiple Pathways for Graduates
Students with an AAS from Southeast Tech's Medical Lab Technician program are not limited in career choices. In addition to becoming a medical lab technician, students may quality lab specialists, client support lab representatives, medical sales representatives and laboratory I.T. specialists.
Southeast Tech's Medical Laboratory Technician programs includes coursework in phlebotomy, hematology, urinalysis, immunology, chemistry, blood bank and microbiology.
CostCosts are calculated based on a charge of $255 per credit hour, plus applicable fees.
Total Costs Cost and Fee Breakdown
Want to know more? Request information about Southeast Tech from the admissions office.
Programs Related to Medical Lab Technician
If a career in healthcare interests you, you may also want to consider: